6 Tips To Optimize Viral Marketing
Updated: Aug 5, 2020
One of the first things you do in the morning is to drink your cup of coffee and check your different apps from Twitter to YouTube. You’ll like a couple of your friends' posts, maybe even comment eventually, you’ll scroll by a video or photo that went viral by someone you follow. This could have happened by pure luck or by consistent use of key viral marketing strategies. These are some of the most essential viral marketing strategies to make your business blow up through a social media platform.
1. Before you begin planning anything you have to decide on who will be your target audience, it is very difficult to create viral content that will appeal to everyone. Then you have to get to know your target audience and research what trends they are attracted to. Where they spend most of their time online and how can you tailor your brand’s content for their interest. It’s important to note when a post speaks to anyone on a personal level, they are more likely to share it with others.
2. Viral campaigns tend to rely heavily on visuals. This is due to the fact visuals are the quickest way to process and distribute online. It is more appealing to the eye than a block of text. One of the best ways to do this is by creating videos that are short and straight to the point. If you are targeting Gen- Z or Millennials this is crucial because they have an attention span of 8-10 seconds. Make sure the thumbnail of your video is funny or colorful. It is more likely people will be intrigued to click on it. Videos are an excellent tool overall because there are various ways of sharing them on blogs and apps. They are more likely to become contagious.
3. Be Bold in the selective content you decide to upload, create controversy but leave room for mystery. You do not want to always play it safe and bland. As entrepreneur Dave Patel said, “The element of surprise is often an important part of getting noticed in an increasingly crowded virtual landscape. However, sensationalism isn’t always necessary.” For example, having a debate with your audience regarding who is the best lyricist J.Cole or Kendrick Lamar. It can be simple, but just enough to stir the pot and grab more people’s attention.
4. Viral marketing succeeds off the emotions it produces for its audience, it is the most effective technique among all viral marketing techniques. It is the main reason that people tend to spread viral content across social media. To be able to have that impact you need to decide on the emotion you want your audience to feel. Here a few pointers to maximize the emotion of a post.
- create something which is filled with love or hate
- either be an idiot or a genius
- create something that will make people happy or insanely angry
5. Networking can make a huge difference in the outcome of your success. It’s easier for you to reach more people when influential individuals in your industry are recommending your product or service or putting your content in front of your target people. It doesn’t necessarily have to be anyone famous either it can be someone local who is starting their viral journey as well. This exposure will benefit both of you. The important thing is to offer a very unique content that can genuinely benefit their followers/readers and leverage that aspect to get them to share your content.
6. Lastly, don’t over overdo it, viral content cannot be forced. By its very nature, it is random and hard to predict. You can tell when an artist or a business just follows the most popular trends and loses the overall sight of the message they were trying to put out. With so much information at the tip of our fingers, it is always valuable to maintain your message and your deeper meaning when trying to go viral.